I recently watched a TED talk where the presenter argued against the phrase 30 is the new 20. Her stance was basically something like "your 20s are your 20s and you can never get those years back." I agree with her on that sentiment, but as far as the youthfulness and quality of life associated with one's 20's I think that saying 30 is the new 20 can be valid.
I'm only saying that because just a couple months ago I turned 30, and guess what? I feel as youthful and happy as I did when I turned 20. In fact, I feel better! For one, my future isn't looming in the distance taunting me like a giant question mark. I kinda, sorta have shit figured out. I may not be exactly where I want to be yet, but I know how to get there. Goals seem much more tangible now. Not easy, but attainable.
So that is reassuring. And as a result, I feel much happier and content with life. I still have my youth and there's a lot of living left to do!
Not to say that my 20s were bad or unhappy. They weren't at all! I've had many experiences that I am so grateful for. Actually, I kind of feel like I ended my 20s with a bang. Some highlights from year 29 included:
Finally, after years of working and going to school at the same time: I received my Masters Degree. Done. FINALLY.
Visited the Dominican Republic for the first time. A purely R&R vacation, which is rare for us.
Visited Colombia for the 2nd time. This country holds a very special place in my heart. I can't wait to return.
Visited Peru for the first time. Hiked the classic Inka Trail for 4 days to arrive to Machu Picchu. A challenging, magical, and unforgettable experience.
Celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary. Marriage is a wonderful, beautiful thing. I'm so lucky to have experienced the majority of my 20s with this man.
Yeah, I have A LOT to be thankful for. Also - A LOT to look forward to. Here's to 30 being the new 20!

.jpg)
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment