Wednesday, March 26, 2014

12 weeks

Welp, we're 12 weeks in.  We've made it to the "other side" where all of those 1st trimester symptoms suddenly vanish into thin air, the bump gets bigger, and I can happily announce to the entire world that I am expecting.  Right?  hmm....not so fast.

I spent a good chunk of today feeling exceptionally shitty, so my "morning" sickness is not yet a thing of the past.  My good days are starting to outnumber those bad days, so I *think* things are making a turn for the better.  This past week, though, was just not my best in terms of health.  I spent last Sunday feeling extremely groggy, so I slept most of the day.  At night I developed a fever, which had me freaking out.  I popped some tylenol and woke up slightly better but still sick as a dog on Monday.  Ended up taking a day off work and spending the day in bed.  I gradually got better as the week progressed, but am still not 100%.  That, combined with my general pregnancy symptoms, did not make for a fun week.

About that bump.  It's nowhere to be found.  I've noticed that I'm much more softer around the edges, and I look like I have a muffin top more than a baby bump.  So yeah, no progress there.  I'm still wearing all of my regular clothes.  My pants fit comfortably, but they seem to accentuate that muffin top I was talking about.

And pregnancy announcements?  Not quite ready for that.  I kind of like having this little (big) secret all to myself.  Including the husband and parents, of course.  I have no interest in sharing it with the world yet.  Plus, I'm not even showing.  People are going to think I'm a big fat liar.

I did start to tell the coaches at my gym.  After getting some "are you okay?" "sure you don't want to go heavier on that lift?" type questions repeatedly, I figured it was time to let them in on the news.  Just so that they know why I need to take a water or bathroom break every 10 minutes, or why I'm not being my super-competitive self.  That was a relief.  Speaking of Crossfit, I have never loved it more.  During the first trimester, there were points where I reached my all-time ultimate low in terms of energy and mood.  Despite that, I managed to make it to the gym almost every day these past 3 months.  Well, with the exception of sick days and holidays.  I am definitely feeling the benefits of having kept active during my first trimester.  I feel sick due to my general preggo symptoms, but I still feel healthy.  I don't feel like a total slob, which I'm sure I would have felt had I stayed in bed feeling sorry for my pregnant self.  I've also managed to keep up with my skills: pull-ups, bar muscle ups, handstand walks - still got em!  I'm sure there will come a point where doing these things will be physically impossible, but I'm really glad I haven't lost them just yet.


Symptoms:  I'm feeling better!  My appetite is slowly creeping back.  Still tired all the time, though.
Foods I can't stand: Still got no love for coffee or brussel sprouts.
Cravings: Nope.
Other?:  I hit a milestone this week - I started cooking again!  Cooked three meals in a row Monday through Wednesday and I ate every single one of them.  I think this is hinting towards my normal energy + appetite coming back.  Let's hope we can keep this up.
Thankful for: Naps!!!  Taking a nap has become a requirement for me to make it through some days.  During the week I have taken to sneaking out to my car during lunch, finding some shade to park under, and knocking out for a good 45 minutes.  It is the BEST.
Current weight: 113.0.  I haven't gained more than 5 lbs during the 1st trimester, and all of it happened very early on.  The past 5 or so weeks, I've kept a pretty constant weight.  Not sure when I'm supposed to start gaining consistently, but I imagine it would be soon?

No comments: