::feeling guilty::
I still love them and can't wait for them to make their public debut on our wedding day. Although I'll admit that I've been a bit scared about taking on a particular daunting task that awaits us: stuffing them with flowers. At this point I think we may have finally accepted that there's no more time for fear. It's time to get down to bizness, man!
In case I haven't mentioned this before: we aren't hiring a florist. There's just no room for one in our budget. I'm also partially reasoning this decision with the fact that I live five blocks away from the LA Flower District. Why would I hire a florist who would charge me their overhead costs of driving to the Flower Market and their time for buying the same exact flowers that I can buy without a mark-up? Makes perfect sense, right? No? Oh that's right...I'm not a professional florist and have close to zero design experience. Yep, this should be interesting.
Right now, the plan is to rely on our own DIY skills as well as help from family and friends the day before the wedding to put together 20 floral arrangements. I think the key here is going to be practice and accepting imperfection. These should essentially be our last DIY project; the last obstacle before I enter wedding-bliss (woohoo!)
Read along if you're interested to see how flower trial Numero Uno turned out.
We started with a regular square oasis foam fully soaked in water and placed it in a floral tray. Then we added some greenery around the bottom portion of the tray.
Mr. Tortolito and I luuurve dahlias. We were only going to use dark burgundy dahlias to match our color scheme, but we saw these beautiful sunburst-like ones and we just had to include them. We tried to arrange the dahlias in a circular form as best as we could.
We added stock flowers in between the dahlias and greenery to fill up some space and, um, that was that. Done? Sort of. But we felt like it was missing something. I think we needed to add more dahlias at the top to make the arrangement rounder and fuller.
Here are pictures from the next morning. The good news is that the flowers were still alive and kickin' for the rest of the following day. I just feel like it's missing flowers. What do you think?
In the end, this arrangement cost us about $13 to $15 in flowers and supplies. It took us about half an hour of arranging/re-arranging/tweaking/contemplating. I'm hoping the rest of the arrangements won't take as long once we get the method down.
Does anyone have any advice on creating your own floral arrangements? I'm open to any suggestions!
3 comments:
I have a couple of suggestions if I may. I am no processional either so of course you dont have to listen to me!
Have you thought about adding green hanging amaranthus? and is there a way you can make the arrangement a little more lose? Or have the dahlias sit lower? Im not sure im making sense here.. i have a vision and dont know how to explain lol. Or have you considered not using the oasis and just let the flowers sit on the base? Just so the dahlias look more relaxed.
Im sorry if i confused you!
Thanks so much! You know what, I was totally thinking of using the hanging amaranthus but for some reason I disregarded that idea and didn't end up purchasing any when I went to the flower district that day. But now that you metion it, I am going to try it out for sure! I've got one more trial to share on here, and for the next one I will def try out your idea. Thanks!
Just discovered your blog, and must say I lovelovelove the talaveras.
Also, I'd say you could add more green in between the floral layers to soften the look, but you're definitely on the right track!
Post a Comment