Friday, April 17, 2009

Proposal Final Thoughts

Ms. Tortolita previously posted about our proposal and I think she did a great job depicting the story... straight out of your favorite novela, huh? I think her conclusion was: It was perfect! Sure, proposing seems like an easy thing to do.... if you're sure about your decision than all you have to do is go out there and do it, right? FALSE! You think you know but you have no idea.. this is the life of a... ummm... haha what label should I give it?

I would like to share what I learned about this whole process... because unless you're planning for a second wifey, the doode is a complete novice to the proposal business and totally oblivious about what needs to be done. Actually, from the proposal onwards oblivion just worsens... I was prepared to know about laplace transforms and fourier too, but damasks, pomanders, and cala lilies are a compeltely different story.
  • Tip #1: Don't ask your father and guys friends for advice (unless you want reasons to not marry the girl). Haha, when I told my dad about my intentions he broke out with some foreign dialect, "No jo no ma no chi!" In Spanish these are all acronyms for a slew of bad words.... LOL..... he reminded me that I had just graduated and I had a whole life ahead of me, that I finally had a great job, had time to play, had the means to do whatever I'd like. In this position he would be big pimpin' spending g's! Haha, I told the guy friends as well, all of which are not married, and they said alleluyah to my father's sermon. Funny...
  • Tip #2: Tiffany will shatter your dreams! If you're a guy on a budget, they offer their economical $15,000 option. Weah! I know the rule, according to all girls in the world, is three month's worth of your paycheck.... haha, lemme tell you that she is not marrying a big time lawyer or doctor.... Get to know your four C's: clarity, cut, carat, and color and learn to optimize! I got my fiancee a small bright, pretty shiny piece of rock.... without her having to pick it. The proposal had to be a surprise, plus I got mad style and taste (j/k). So what did I get in return? Read along....
  • Tip #3: Nothing!... If a fiancee gets a ring, then the fiance should get something too. I would like a tangible proof of love.... let's say a big screen hdtv.... screen size must be proportional to her paycheck.... toma! So how did this idea work out for me? A big FALSE! I had to buy my own t.v., and now we watch The Hills on it. Ugh! Football season will be here tho... very soon..... saturday college games, sunday pro-games, and monday night football. I shall prevail!
  • Tip #4: I think the way you propose should be meaningful to both. Many doodes like to take their girl on a vacation or do something else they've never done before to then propose. Cute, but does it really mean anything. Up to that point, that place did not mean anything.... the proposal will make it special. My take on it was to remind her of our origins, how we got started, how we grew up, and how it all evolves into something bigger... rather idealistic, but that's how I roll.
  • Tip #5: Get the parentals involved (both sets). When I told my parents about the proposal, I asked my father to help me do what he did with my mom.... and accompany me to ask Ms. Tortolita's hand in marriage. Actually, I wanted all my family to be there... so my mom, dad, and kid sister came along (my kid bro goes to berkeley so he was unavailable, el nino cesar was still there in spirit). So, we decided to invite her mom and dad to a fancy restaurant for a casual dinner.... they get a good meal I get their daughter, pretty fair exchange if you ask me. So, I wanted Ms. Tortolita to not know about this. I called her mom up and told her I had to talk to her, and that she wasn't allowed to tell her daughter about it... or else. Haha, I later found out that for the days leading up to the dinner, her parentals were under the impression that I had impregnated her and I was going to break out the news to them. LOL! Umm, before you bite that juicy steak, umm... we're gonna have little tortolitos.... haha, little do they know that I'm a God sent angel here to do nothing but good things..... Anyways! So, we were having dinner, and my dad broke the ice, telling them that we had brought them to that place for a reason. Her parents whew'ed and were ready for the bad news....::drum roll:: "My son wants to marry your daughter!" (in a sad and nonexciting way). Haha, of course her dad takes a sip of the water and undoes his tie, her mom is shocked, my parents are enjoying making them suffer. The most excited person there is my little sister.... cuz she got a pizza in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. I was nervous, by the way. So, to make a long story short.... I got their approval and yea... went on and did it. Her parents appreciated the fact that I considered their opinion.... FALSE, I was going to steal her anyways. Haha, I was going to get my way regardless. I win!
So, I guess I can give more hints and tips, but I think it's way fun to do this on the fly. When else do you get the chance to control a situation that involves you two completely all by yourself? Anyone else want to offer some advice or share their proposal thoughts?

No comments: