Sunday, April 12, 2009

Meeting for the first time...

Romeo met his Juliet while partying it up at a ball.... Paris never met Helen before he knew he would steal her during one of his vacations to then hot-spot Sparta... while crazy Don Quixote had to make up his Dulcinea.... Our story does not involve crossing stars, divine intervention (or does it?) or crazy made-up stories.... our simply begins like many college-sweetheart stories except for the fact that ours is way more awesome... (at least to ours)

After high school, we both were admitted into the school of engineering, a career choice tough enough to merit a two-week summer introductory session before real classes started. In that particular summer of '02 my parents dropped me off by the dorms, in a timely matter, suggesting a somewhat urgency to get rid of me. Ha. So I went inside, tidied up my things, set up in my dorm, and waited for the program to kick-off. I hung out in the lobby watching all the enginerds come in one by one. One of the last ones to come in (we shall learn later that her family is notoriously late to everything) was the now fiancee. Being the observant that I am, I noticed she was wearing sassy white sun-glasses and blue sexy summer shorts (::whistling the "i just saw a hot girl" whistle::). Not that she caught my eye or anything, it's just me being observant in a rather scientific way..... I coulda made similar observations about anyone else, but I just so happen to remember this one. And only this one... don't know why...

Ms. Tortolita and I did not click immediately. Actually our relationship was more like peer-to-peer bond.... until a trip to magic mountain changed it all. The program rewarded our hard work with a visit to roller-coaster haven... Six Flags! All the students started hanging as a ginormous group, going everywhere together and doing everything as a group. The large crowd slowly filtered to 10 people, then to five. In those five, somehow I was coupled with Ms. Tortolita... she was my ride buddy. Having experience with a prior trip to Disney during High School Grad Night, ride buddies are a pretty big deal... especially if she's a cutie. Which she was and still is.. :)

We rode in all the rides together, always sitting side by side. We even rode the same ride more than once just to repeat the fun.... according to her I won her over while waiting for our friends to return from a particular coaster. We sat by a flower-bed decorating the entrance to one of the rides, I butchered a flower and uprooted it from its resting place, and handed over to her with a smile. Don't know how such an act of violence against nature's flora garnered me "sweet points"... but it did.

The rest of the summer we chatted, got to know each other better, and then looked forward to the beginning of the school year. We did not start dating immediately, actually we took our time to get to know each other even more... a whole year to be precise. The next summer we had our first kiss. Romantic story, huh? j/k....

Every story is equally (or even more) romantique but definitely always unique, care to share yours?

No comments: