Thursday, August 27, 2009

Late Night Snack-a-roo

You know those nights when you just need a late night snack to end the day on a perfect note? We've all been there: you spent hours hittin' up the club or bars, dancing and sweating up a storm. Suddenly, it's closing time and you & your friends are scooted out of da club. That's when you realize that you're starving...you've been starting for the past two hours.

Alright, alright, we aren't trying to emulate a "club night" with our wedding, but we do predict a few good hours of dancing and libations. With a 7pm dinner and ~12am stop time, that leaves plenty of hours to build up a moderate appetite. We certainly don't want our guests to go home with an empty stomach, so Mr. Tortolito and I have taken it upon ourselves to send them off with a full belly!


The best part about having a post dinner/late night snack is that anything goes!

Sweets? Cookies? Milk? Yes please. :)
{via OneWed}

Who wouldn't devour a hot dog at 12am?
{photography by nonfiction weddings}

A lighter snack would go down just as well. You can't go wrong with cheese, crackers, and fruit.
{source}

I'm sure that any type of snack would be welcomed by guests, but Mr. Tortolito and I are using this as another opportunity to stick to our theme. Our caterer specializes in Mexican cuisine, anyway, so we might as well take advantage of their bomb food!

Although we are hoping for a warm November day, nights can be chilly. With our outdoor venue we figured we should stick to warmer foods. After discussing options with our caterer, we settled on a popular Mexican combination: tamales con champurrado.

{Champurrado} - one of my all time favorite treats. Made with Mexican chocolate, masa harina (a cornmeal-type flour), milk, cinnamon, & vanilla, it's heaven in a cup.

{Tamales} - masa (dough) stuffed with different types of meats, cheeses, or even sweets! We will be serving tamales de pollo en salsa verde (chicken in green chile sauce), puerco en salsa roja (pork in red chile sauce), and rajas con queso (sliced chiles with cheese).

Tamales y champurrado: the perfect combination for a chill November evening. Is it wrong for me to admit that I may possibly be more excited for our late night snack than our formal dinner?

2 comments:

♥ Elena said...

You guys are making me hungry. That sounds like a great idea that I'm sure people will enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Muy buena idea! I love how you are sticking to your mexican theme..I'm sure your invitados are going to loooove this treat!