I'm not against the bouquet or garter toss at wedding receptions. I understand how they might make some people a lil' uncomfortable. It's true, I myself have felt a bit awkward standing in the middle of the dance floor getting ready to bring out the claws to catch that coveted bouquet of wilted flowers. Maybe that's why "La Víbora De La Mar" was created? If you're gonna make your guests act a fool, you might as well go all out!
I've been to many a Mexican wedding in my days. One of the most entertaining parts of the reception, for me at least, was always the bouquet and garter toss. I'm not talking about your normal toss events here. I'm referring to the bouquet and garter toss with a little Mexican twist: la víbora de la mar. f you've been to a Mexican wedding, you've probably seen it in action. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, allow me to share...
Imagine a wedding reception. It's time for the bouquet toss and all the single ladies are taking their place as they are called out to the middle of the dance floor. The bride: standing atop a fold-up chair, two people by her side holding her tight to ensure she doesn't come crashing down. The groom: standing atop another fold-up chair directly in front of the bride, also with two assistants to secure him, holding the bride's veil (usually the veil, otherwise any other kind of fabric) overhead to create an arch of sorts. Then, the band or DJ start playing that all too familiar tune "a la víbora, víbora de la mar, de la mar, por aquí pueden pasar..." The ladies grab hands, assembling themselves into a line, and take off parading throughout the reception area as they pass under the "veil arch." The band/DJ plays the tune just a little quicker, the women start running, trying not to let go of each others hands. Heels fall off, arms get yanked, madness ensues as the music keeps getting faster culminating into a mass of wild women at the dance floor once the music ends. The bride, still standing on her chair (hopefully), prepares to toss her bouquet per the direction of the emcee.
It looks a little somethin' like this:
{Source}
After that, it's the dudes' turn. Things get real crazy.
Now that it's our turn to throw our big ol' Mexican shindig, you better believe we aren't leaving out la víbora de la mar. La víbora (which translates to snake or viper) will be out in full force!
Are you incorporating any type of cultural twists to your reception?
No comments:
Post a Comment