We made the decision to register at only one store for several reasons. We absolutely don't expect or require our guests to give us gifts at our wedding. Should they feel so inclined, a registry is super helpful for guests who wish to gift a couple with items that they actually need. We also aren't announcing our registry much. We don't have a wedding website (nor do we plan on making one) and we won't be announcing our registry with our invitation suite. I know this is a pretty controversial topic and I honestly don't think there is a right or a wrong. Every wedding invitation that I've ever received from family has included a registry announcement of some sort, and I agree that it has been useful for my family as guests. But the way we see it, the invitation for our wedding is coming from us as a couple...Mr. & Miss. Tortolita. Not parents, not family members. Who are we to suggest that people bring us gifts? I want to leave that option totally up to our guests. Gifts or no gifts, we will be happy if our family & friends dedicate a day out of their busy schedules to party it up with us! If they want to donate to the "help domesticate Los Tortolitos" cause, then the option is totally there. That's why we wanted keep it simple and register at only one store that was pretty well-known and that we know is local to all our guests. Macy's was a good option for us. As for the "how are your guests going to know where you're registered?" question, well we're leaving that up to word of mouth and the "search registry" option on all those wedding websites out there.
On to the goods!
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Mr. Tortolito that the recommended items list provided by Macy's was just a bit too formal for us. Fine china? Mmmm..prolly won't be needing that. We do want a step up from our current dining sets and home items in general. When we purchased our home last November, we stocked up on the bare minimum in a effort to keep saving for the wedding. Think Target college dorm/apartment sets. Yeah, we definitely need to step up our game and start our collection of good quality home items.
We opted for a "casual" china dining set. Not too fancy, yet presentable (and I won't feel like I lost a small fortune if I happen to break a dish):

We were at a toss-up when it came to deciding cookware. I absolutely love to cook and prepare meals, so this was an important part of our registry to me. But dang, those cookware set prices were intimidating! I don't mind having a collection of non-matching cookware so we included items à la carte:


You get the idea.
Aside from other essentials, we included some extraneous items that many of us brides drool over.
Wow. I might actually feel obliged to donate my first born son to whoever buys this for us.
Fondue party, anyone?
Tea time?A girl can dream, no? We also threw in a good assortment of odds 'n ends: spice rack, cooking tongs, measuring cups, etc. Our complete registry is still a work in progress, but we are really making an effort to include all price ranges.
Creating our registry was a really fun activity for us. Exhausting, but fun! I'm not sure if it's even going to be helpful since we aren't formally announcing it, but we had a great time browsing through items and choosing those that would help our humble little loft feel more like a home to us.
So. What do you think? Are wedding registries really useful or even necessary? Should we not get our hopes up if we aren't announcing it anywhere?
No comments:
Post a Comment