Once upon a time, Mr. Tortolito and I were travel fiends. We would plan a weekend getaway at least once a month, and visit our beloved Mexico twice a year. I went on trips with my girlfriends, and spent an entire summer overseas. We had plans to keep the travel bug inside of us alive and kickin.
And then we got engaged.
It was nothing bad of course. In fact, it was a very happy time in our lives. It's just that we had to put our travel plans on hold for a couple years. We thought that buying a home and paying for our wedding should maybe be a priority. So our fun/travel money started going towards those efforts.
We bought our home, then started planning our wedding. And then I lost my job.
That was kinda bad. We didn't have much more fun monies after that. All we had to work with was our savings (i.e. wedding budget), Mr. Tortolito's hard earned income, and my measly unemployment check. We've made it work, thankfully, but we essentially had to throw any future travel plans out the window - including our honeymoon (hence our two day sojourn in Napa).
I'm not complaining. It hasn't been the easiest of times, but it hasn't been the worst either. On the bright side, I have been able to focus on things that are really important to me: school, my future career, and being a good wife. We are happy. Fun money or not. Traveling or not.
Last month, I received one of the best news I've gotten in a long time: I got a job! - a really, really great engineering job with a company that I have wanted to work for since for-ev-er. Being that I start this job next week, Mr. Tortolito & I jumped at the opportunity to take a vacation. He had a good amount of vacation days racked up, and I'm not sure when the next time I'll be able to get days off will be. I really want to focus on my career and do a kick ass job, so I don't imagine taking any time off in the near future. For this one, we're keeping it low key and domestic. Chicago has been on our list of must-visit US cities for a long time now, so we're doing it! Chicago here we come...
This trip was sort of a last minute decision, and we haven't had much time to plan. We have a hotel room, plan to catch a Cubs vs. Marlins game, have reservations at Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill, and will make a trip to eat at this cafe we saw on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives that specializes in authentic Cemitas Poblanas. There isn't much more planned besides that.
My question for all you out there in blog land who have been to the Windy City is this: got any recommendations for two young, social, fun loving, artsy, bar hopping, love-to-eat-good-foods newcomers to Chicago? What/Where else should we make sure to visit?

7 comments:
Firat of all congratulations!!! That is really great news to hear about your job. As far as things to do in Chicago, I would say definitely catch a show on the theatres if u have the time, go out to a club in the downtown area...I'd have to check the best ones with my cousin, oh and there's this amazing nationally recognized restaurant called moto which is duper expensive but an engineering feast. If you are coming next week the Fuerza Brava show is going to be in town during that time :) HAVE FUn!
Hey guys! Some friends of mine just spent a couple months in Chicago and said the best pizza (deep dish, of course) was at a place called Gino's East. Looks like they had a ton of fun going to pubs and brewery tours as well. Have a great time!
@Renata: thanks chica, for the recs. We will def look into a theatre show and a club. Moto sounds deelish..will need to check if we can get a reservation. And we're going this week, so sadly will miss Fuerza Brava - but you will have to blog about it if you see it. :)
@Kevin: making a note about Gino's East. Thanks!!
First: CONGRATULATIONS on your new job! You really deserve it. You have such a positive attitude and great way of looking at things, all written with humility and gratefulness. I'm happy for you that things have come your way.
Second, when are you going to Chicago? I highly recommend Avec! It is a fantastic, small, nouveau eatery that is so reasonably priced for the quality of food and chic atmosphere, it's almost like you're stealing! The only catch is they don't take reservations, but the wait is worth it!!! Also, an longtime favorite is La Coloniale, which is French Vietnamese. If you don't want to go for dinner, they have cute patio dining for lunch and it's fun to people watch there. I've always wanted to try Hot Doug's the gourmet wiener joint. In terms of things to do: Art Institute, FLW's Robie House, and I hear the architectural boat tour is phenomenal!
Hope you guys have a fantastic time!
@Creature Gorgeous: aw man. I read your comment too late! Thanks, though!! We were able to check out the Art Institute, but the rest of your recs will have to go on our to-do list for next time. :)
Hi Mrs! Congratulations on your new job! I am just catching up on your blog now. Btw, I completely understand what you mean. I used to travel a lot, and then.. I got married, haha. But we're trying to get back to traveling more. I hope you had an awesome time in Chicago. I love everything about Chicago except the weather. But then Chicago natives say that that's what makes those perfectly gorgeous sunny Chicago days all the more special. :)
oh man, i'm way too late but chicago is such a great food town. i've been to a lot of really high-end restaurants there, but what i most look forward to when i go is this little, old-fashioned mexican bakery in the Bucktown/Wicker Park area. It's called Artemio Bakery, and you can literally get five pastries for less than $3.00. I've tried similar bakeries around the country, but nothing beats this place.
Post a Comment